Nutrition and Exercise
We all want to get moving and eat healthy, but where to start? This e-learning guide provides all the how-to information for getting in shape with PH.
Exercising with PH:
- Always consult with your PH specialist before initiating an exercise plan.
- Set reasonable goals with your specialist.
- Use a pedometer to monitor your steps each day – increase number of steps daily!
- Vary your routine.
- Use oxygen as prescribed by your specialist.
- Use controlled breathing techniques to move air in and out of lungs; avoid short shallow breaths.
- Use your symptoms as a guide. Recognize the warning signs of overexertion: dizziness, chest pain, worsening shortness of breath.
- Do not initiate an exercise plan without speaking to your specialist first.
- Do not perform any weightlifting of greater than 15 pounds.
- Do not exercise during humid weather.
- Do not exercise alone.
- Monitor fluid intake. Avoid dehydration/fluid overload.
- Do not become deconditioned.
- Ability may vary each day. Do what you can when you can!
- Do not get discouraged!
Looking for more information? View additional PHA resources on nutrition and exercise.