Communications: Media Relations Internship
Available for Spring & Summer, 2015
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast growing association of patients, caregivers and medical professionals working to raise awareness and find a cure for a rare and debilitating lung disease. If you are looking to learn how to write for and reach out to the media, learn a top media database program, post information to the organization’s online press room and help promote a meaningful cause, this internship may be for you.
PHA is seeking a Media Relations Intern with a strong written and verbal communications skills and who is working towards a degree in Communications, Public Relations, English or a related discipline. This internship requires a team player with the ability to forge relationships with all departments in the organization and work with staff on story ideas and the best communication vehicles to use to push the information out to the public.
- Research and develop targeted media lists for PHA events and outreach using VocusPR.
- Draft press releases and pitch letters for dissemination to media outlets.
- Research targeted publications and organizations for which PHA can cultivate relationships.
- Work to continue member engagement in PHA’s PSA program.
- Work to improve the functionality of PHAs online press room.
- Have a strong interest in public and media relations principles and practices.
- Possess strong oral and written communications skills.
- Be familiar with social media tools and how they can be used to engage the media.
- Have the ability to conduct online research.
- Be personable, highly motivated and organized with attention to detail.
- Work well in a team environment.
- Have an interested in healthcare issues and working in a nonprofit setting.
How to Apply
Materials should include a cover letter explaining your interest in working for PHA, a resume and a 3-6 page writing sample. Cover letters can be addressed to Renée Hockaday, Director, Communications. Applications are only accepted through PHA's online Internship Application Form.