The Early Diagnosis Campaign: Marketing & Communications Internship
Not available at this time
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals committed to maintaining the organization’s volunteer spirit and building opportunities for involvement and education. Pulmonary hypertension (PH), a life-threatening illness described as high blood pressure in the lungs, affects people of all ethnic backgrounds and ages.
Unfortunately, with symptoms that are typically associated with more common diseases, pulmonary hypertension is difficult to spot, and patients continue to experience diagnostic and treatment delays. PHA’s Early Diagnosis Campaign aims to reduce the average time to accurate PH diagnosis by knocking down these barriers one-by-one. The Marketing & Communications Internship in Early Diagnosis offers students a structured experience working with PHA’s staff and constituents to assist in the development and implementation of marketing for the campaign. The Marketing & Communications Intern will be instrumental in helping PHA staff develop and market educational resources designed to educate the public about this disease. The internship will prepare the intern for a career in the marketing and communications field by providing an opportunity to participate in creating an exciting social marketing campaign as well as develop internal and external communication strategies. Interns will be given the opportunity to lead these projects based on their ability, passion and interests.
- Help identify needs, research topics of interest and assist in the development of new resources for PHA’s patient and caregiver communities
- Develop communication materials for outreach to medical professionals and patients through social media and print materials
- Create a marketing and communications campaign for the Early Diagnosis Campaign
- Assist in the redesign of www.PHAssociation.org/SometimesItsPH to better meet the needs of the campaign’s target audience
- Utilize data collected through participant evaluations to assess educational needs and preferences to incorporate into future educational initiatives
- Identify projects and areas of individual interest and work both independently and in teams to achieve goals
- Receive a transportation subsidy
- Have an interest in nonprofit program development
- Have an interest in advocacy and awareness issues related to healthcare, and in working in a non-profit environment
- Be highly organized, with the ability to think creatively and strategically, and multi-task
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have an understanding of and strong interest in social media marketing, communications and graphic design
- Have the ability to think creatively and strategically, as well as to multi-task
- Exhibit strong interpersonal skills, and a proven ability to work both independently and in teams
- Be prepared to work in a fast-paced, professional office setting
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.