PHA Proof of Concept Research Grant Winner 2013
Nicole M. Pohl, PhD
Division of Pulmonary Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago
Title: "Role of miR-181b in the Regulation of TRPC6 and the Development of Pulmonary Hypertension"
Term: December 1, 2013- November 30, 2014
Summary of Research Project:
Idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension (IPAH) is a fatal, rare lung disease that primarily affects young women. Dr. Pohl will investigate the pathology of IPAH so that new therapies can be developed that treat the cause of the disease rather than its symptoms. This study will help us to understand how the disease develops and progresses. Once the mechanism of disease is understood, finding drugs that specifically target the misbehaving pathways becomes possible.
NAME: Nicole M. Pohl, PhD
POSITION TITLE: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago
||Field of Study
|University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Ill.
|Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
|Loyola University of Chicago, Maywood, Ill.
|University of Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany
Postdoctoral Research Associate, 2011-2014
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago
Postdoctoral Research Associate, 2008-2010
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago
Research Volunteer, 2002-2003
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Qi X, Tang J, Loesch M, Pohl NM, Alkan S, and Chen G. p38γ Mitogen-activated protein kinase integrates signaling crosstalk between Ras and estrogen receptor to increase breast cancer invasion. Cancer Res. 66: 7540-7547, 2006.
- Pohl NM, Qi X, Loesch M, Hou SW, Li R, Qin JZ, Cuenda A and Chen G. p38γ Antagonizes p38γ activity through c-Jun-dependent ubiquitin-proteasome pathways in regulating Ras transformation and stress response. J. Biol. Chem. 282: 31398-31408, 2007.
- Li QP, Qi X, Pramanik R, Pohl NM, Losch M and Chen G. Stress-induced c-Jun-dependent vitamin D receptor (VDR) activation dissects the non-classical VDR pathway from the classical VDR activity. J. Biol. Chem. 282: 1544-1551, 2007.
- Pohl NM, Tong C, Fang W, Bi X and Yang W. Transcriptional regulation and biological functions of selenium-binding protein 1 in colorectal cancer in vitro and in nude mouse xenografts. PLoS One, 2009; Nov 16: 4 (11):e7774.
- Fang W, Goldberg M, Pohl NM, Bi X, Tong C, Xiong B, Koh T, Diamond A and Yang W. Functional and physical interaction between the selenium binding protein 1 (SBP1) and the glutathione peroxidase 1 selenoprotein. Carcinogenesis. Aug; 31(8):1360- 1366. 2010.
- Hou SW, Zhi HY, Pohl N, Loesch M, Qi XM, Li RS, Basir Z and Chen G. PTPH1 dephosphorylates and cooperates with p38γ MAPK to increase Ras oncogenesis through PDZ-mediated interaction. Cancer Research. 2010; 70(7): 2901-10.
- Bi X, Pohl NM, Yin Z and Yang W. Loss of JNK2 increases intestinal tumor susceptibility in Apc1638+/- mice with dietary modulation. Carcinogenesis. 32(4):584-8. 2011.
- Xiuli Bi, Nicole M. Pohl, Zhibing Qian, George R. Yang, Yuan Gou, Grace Guzman, Andre Balla, Renato V. Iozzo, Wancai Yang. Decorin-mediated inhibition of colorectal cancer growth and migration is associated with E-Cadherin in vitro and in mice. Carcinogenesis. 33(2):326-30, 2012.
- Yamamura A, Guo Q, Yamamura H, Zimnicka AM, Pohl NM, Smith KA, Fernandez RA, Zeifman A, Makino A, Dong H, Yuan JX. Enhanced Ca2+-sensing receptor function in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Circ Res. 111(4):469-81, 2012.
- Yamamura A, Yamamura H, Guo Q, Zimnicka AM, Wang J, Ko EA, Smith KA, Pohl NM, Song S, Zeifman A, Makino A, Yuan JX. Dihydropyridine Ca2+ Channel Blockers Increase Cytosolic [Ca2+] by Activating Ca2+-sensing Receptors in Pulmonary Arterial Smooth Muscle Cells. Circ Res. 2013 Jan 8. PMID: 23300272.
- Wang LD, Bi X, Song X, Pohl NM, Cheng Y, Zhou Y, Shears S, Ansong E, Xing M, Wang S, Xu XC, Huang P, Xu L, Wang L, Fan Z, Zhao X, Dong H, Meltzer SJ, Ding I, Yang W. A sequence variant in the phospholipase C epsilon C2 domain is associated with esophageal carcinoma and esophagitis. Molecular Carcinogenesis. 2013 Feb 6. doi: 10.1002/mc.22016.
- NCI/NIH Training Grant T32 HL007829, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2011-2013
- American Heart Association, 2013-Present