Careers at PHA
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a dynamic, fast-growing organization serving pulmonary hypertension (PH) patients, their family members and the medical community. Pulmonary hypertension, a life-threatening illness described as high blood pressure in the lungs, affects people of all ethnic backgrounds and ages. PHA provides high level medical and patient education, raises awareness of PH in the general public and medical community, advocates for legislation, supports research, and helps patients connect with others to end their isolation.
We believe that anyone whose life has been touched by this difficult illness has the right to fight back as much as they are willing and able. We also believe that PHA has an obligation to create the environment that makes such involvement possible.
Meeting Planning Associate
Meetings & Conference Planning Department
PHA is seeking a Meeting Planning Associate to help coordinate the logistics for both patient and medical professional focused educational events. The Meeting Planning Associate will report to the Senior Manager of Meetings & Conference Planning and will work as part of a team to coordinate the following PHA meetings:
PHA’s International PH Conference (even numbered years)
PHA’s biennial International PH Conference brings together PH patients and caregivers with medical professionals who present information on all aspects of pulmonary hypertension – from diagnosis to treatment, and beyond. It also gives attendees opportunities to converse with others and share ideas for managing daily life with PH.
PH Professional Network Symposium (odd numbered years)
The PH Professional Network (PHPN), with support from PHA, organizes this biennial Symposia targeted toward nurses and allied health professionals working within the PH field.
PHA on the Road: PH Patients & Families Education Forum (two a year in even numbered years and four a year in odd numbered years)
PHA on the Road: PH Patients & Families Educations Forums are regional one-day seminars that present information on both the medical and day-to-day issues of living with PH, along with the chance for patients and caregivers to meet others facing the same challenges.
Corporate Committee Meetings (three meetings a year)
PHA Board of Trustees/Scientific Leadership Council/PH Care Centers/PH Professional Network Executive Committee Meetings (twice a year)
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Manage all logistical aspects of events assigned in coordination with other PHA departments including marketing and registration.
- Create and manage event budgets, working with internal staff and external vendors.
- Coordinate on-site meetings details including room sets, food and beverage, audiovisual, guest room block, travel logistics, and promotional items.
- Back-up department in the planning of other meetings and events, assisting where needed.
- Domestic travel is required.
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum knowledge, skills and experience, and education:
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 1-2 years relevant experience; event planning/educational meetings preferred
- Experience with volunteer committee management; background with patient populations a plus
- Competent technology skills, including experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Basic understanding of marketing and promotional principles
- Highly organized, goal-oriented, and able to work on a deadline
- Strong oral presentation and writing skills
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Self-motivated and able to excel independently, as well as in collaborative settings
- Prepared to work in a fast-paced, professional office setting
- Excellent customer service with an attitude to problem solve and make what is possible happen
- Detail oriented and forward thinking
PHA seeks to hire dynamic, energetic individuals who bring enthusiasm and creativity to our work. Position is ideal for candidates with an interest in public health, nonprofit management, social work and other related fields who enjoy working in a fast-paced, friendly office environment.
Position is located in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland, just outside of Washington, DC. See www.PHAssociation.org for more information about the Pulmonary Hypertension Association.
What PHA Offers
PHA offers a competitive salary, generous benefits including health insurance, a transportation subsidy, and a collegial work environment. We also provide high quality training to enhance the skills of our staff.
Please address cover letter to Purti Beeharilal, Senior Manager of Meetings and Conference Planning at PurtiB@phassociation.org and include salary requirements, resume, and writing sample.
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association is an equal-opportunity employer.
Questions or concerns? Please contact HR@PHAssociation.org.