Careers at PHA
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a dynamic, fast-growing organization serving pulmonary hypertension (PH) patients, their family members and the medical community. Pulmonary hypertension, a life-threatening illness described as high blood pressure in the lungs, affects people of all ethnic backgrounds and ages. PHA provides high level medical and patient education, raises awareness of PH in the general public and medical community, advocates for legislation, supports research, and helps patients connect with others to end their isolation.
We believe that anyone whose life has been touched by this difficult illness has the right to fight back as much as they are willing and able. We also believe that PHA has an obligation to create the environment that makes such involvement possible.
Special Events Program Associate
Emphasis on Campaigns and Endurance Events
Full-time position; available September 2014
The mission of the Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is to find ways to prevent and cure pulmonary hypertension, and to provide hope for the pulmonary hypertension community through support, education, research, advocacy and awareness. One of the ways this mission is realized is through the coordination and support of more than 60 annual grassroots special events and hundreds of individual fundraising initiatives. By creating opportunities for community involvement, we hope to provide event organizers and volunteers with a way to tangibly impact and strengthen PHA's mission.
The Special Events Program Associate position provides an exciting opportunity for an aspiring nonprofit professional to gain first-hand experience of grassroots fundraising, volunteer management and campaign organization. Reporting to the Special Events Senior Manager, this associate will be responsible for ongoing programmatic support for special event organizers as well as the continued development of PHA's Endurance Program.
- Provide resources and support to grassroots special event planners with regard to: volunteer recruitment, event registration and marketing, sponsorship and awareness-raising materials.
- Provide resources and support to individual fundraisers with regard to: fundraising ideas, webpage creation, awareness materials and additional support as needed.
- Assist in the development of online and print materials that will better support and equip event planners individual fundraisers.
- Assist with the management of PHA's Special Event Central Fund program, including:
- The coordination of grant requests by accurately tracking and managing applications as they move through the review process.
- Interfacing with Database, Development and Finance staff to ensure proper allocation and notation of granted funds.
- Research and report on PHA's existing campaigns and endurance program while preparing (and later implementing) a proposal to enhance program structure (i.e. budget, chapter integration, promotion, etc.)
- Interface with various departments at PHA to ensure the program's success and visibility.
- Create new, innovative and user-friendly avenues for recruiting athletes inside and outside the organization.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
BA/BS preferred. The successful applicant will be highly organized and have the ability to respond to a variety of activities while keeping track of details. S/he must also demonstrate Microsoft Office proficiency. Excellent writing and organizational skills paired with a commitment to success are essential. The ability to work well with people, exercise independent judgment, take initiative, and manage shifting priorities are also necessary qualifications for the position.
What We Offer
A competitive salary; generous benefits including a transportation subsidy; location in downtown Silver Spring (bus and Metro accessible); collegial work environment. We also provide quality training opportunities to enhance the skills of our staff.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and your salary expectations to Joshua Griffis, Special Events Senior Manager at JoshuaG@PHAssociation.org. Applications without salary information will not be considered. We look forward to hearing from you.
Questions or concerns? Please contact Serena Weisman, PHA's Vice President of Finance & Human Resources, at Jobs@PHAssociation.org.