BUILDING AN EFFECTIVE PH ASSOCIATION
Starter Tip: Get Registered
Why should I register or incorporate my association?
- Registering will enhance your image and credibility (especially with government officials). Presenting your association to the government will enhance your organization and provide a clear understanding of the duties and responsibilities of your group and everyone involved; it also will create a workflow for the organization and inform the structure of your group.
- Registering may give your organization a tax-free status and enable you to provide tax receipts to make it easer to obtain donations. In some countries, non-profit registration is different from tax-exempt status. You might be registered as a non-profit but until you obtain tax-exempt status you will not be able to give tax receipts. In other countries, charity status may be harder to obtain.
- Registering may be required to be eligible to receive grants from the government or other sources and will enable pharmaceutical companies to provide support to your organization.
- Registering protects your association's name and the resources created under your name; no one else can use them without consequence.
How do I register my association?
- Begin by researching the types of registrations available in your country.
- Consider which registration opportunities ensure that liabilities do not fall on individuals, and that they allow for future growth and permit flexibility in fundraising.
- Recognize that the registration process can be long and you will likely want to begin the process as soon as possible after you have established the structure of your association and addressed all organizational formalities.
Next: Getting Started - To Do List >>
Return to Guide Homepage