Basic Steps to Raising Awareness through the Media
There are many ways to raise awareness of pulmonary hypertension through the media. Familiarize yourself with these basic steps before you get started.
1. Create a Media List
A Media List is a list of media outlets and their contact information. It will help you know who in the media to contact and how to do it. Here are a few ways to compile your Media List:
- Visit PHA’s media search page. Type your zip code in the box and click “Go” for a list of all the media outlets in your area.
- Use your local telephone book to look up outlets and get their contact information.
- Visit your local newspaper and television stations’ websites and search for the contact information of specific reporters who cover health issues, features and community issues.
2. Order Press Kits from PHA
Afraid someone will ask you a question about PH that you can’t answer? Don’t worry! Our press kits include a CD-ROM and fact sheets that are packed with information about PH. We’ll send you press kits to give to every reporter that you contact.
3. Prepare your pitch
Whether you’re calling reporters to offer an interview, submitting an Op-Ed or editorial, writing a press release for an event or working on a PSA, think about how you’ll convince media outlets that your story is worth covering. We’ll be happy to work with you to prepare your pitch!
4. Submit your pitch
Use your Media List to call, write to or visit your local media outlets to pitch your story.
5. Follow-up with the media outlets
Reporters can be busy, so you may not get an immediate response to your pitch. It’s important to send an email, letter or phone call to remind them that you’re available.
6. Tell PHA
Contact us to let us know what you did and how we can improve the PHAware Campaign!
Contact Elisabeth to order press kits and for help preparing your media outreach. Contact PHAware@PHAssociation.org or 301-565-3004 x753.