Publicize Your Event & Recruit Participants
Involve the local media
Your special event is big news – let’s spread the word together!
Obtaining media coverage of your upcoming event is a sure-fire way to raise awareness of PH among the general public, and boost excitement and attendance!
There are many ways to get your event in the media, each with differing levels of time commitment. Consider the collective strengths of your organizing committee, and designate a friend or volunteer to take charge of a media outreach plan. PHA is here to brainstorm ideas and provide you with media outreach materials and resources. Contact PHA at Awareness@PHAssociation.org or 301-565-3004 x753.
Here are a few ideas to get you started, but you are the expert for your local area, so get creative!
- Design a media campaign with a press release or media advisory for newspapers and other media outlets. Get step-by-step instructions
- Get listed in community calendars. Local papers, community centers, and churches or religious organizations will often post your event for free if they know it’s a non-profit fundraiser.
- Write and distribute a Public Service Announcement (PSA) about your event.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper about your experience with or connection to PH. Conclude your letter with a one-line invitation to your event. Learn more about writing a letter to the editor
- Go all out! Sharing a personal story about how PH has affected your life and connecting it to your event is a great way to get the media interested. You can do this by joining the Media Action Network. Learn more and request campaign materials