Patient & Caregiver Services Internship
Available Fall 2013
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals committed to maintaining the organization’s volunteer spirit and building opportunities for involvement and education. Pulmonary hypertension (PH), a life-threatening illness described as high blood pressure in the lungs, affects people of all ethnic backgrounds and ages.
The Patient & Caregiver Services program aims to meet the needs of specific populations within the PHA community. The Patient & Caregiver Services Intern will work with PHA staff to develop programs and resources to address special population needs. Specifically, this intern will work with the Manager of Patient & Caregiver Services to expand and enhance online and print material offerings for newly diagnosed patients, young adults with PH, caregivers of adult patients, families of children with PH, and PH patients with associated conditions.
- Help identify educational needs, research topics of interest and assist in the development of new materials for PHA’s patient and caregiver communities
- Develop and begin to implement strategies for keeping web content for special populations fresh and interesting using blogs, multimedia content, and input from patient and caregiver volunteers
- Assist in the management of the Envelope of Hope program for newly diagnosed patients and the Resources for Family and Friends program for parents and caregivers
- Have the opportunity to identify projects and areas of individual interest and work both independently and in teams to achieve goals
- Receive a transportation subsidy
- Have an interest in nonprofit program development
- Be highly organized, with the ability to think creatively and strategically, and multi-task
- Be comfortable interacting with patient and caregiver volunteers by phone and email
- Possess strong writing skills
- Possess knowledge of the Internet and demonstrate proficiency in using a variety of software platforms, including MS Word and MS Excel
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.
How to Apply
Materials should include a cover letter explaining your interest in working for PHA, a resume and a 3-6 page writing sample. Cover letters can be addressed to Kimberley Lamon-Loperfido, Manager of Patient Outreach & Services. Applications are only accepted through PHA's online Internship Application Form.