Tom Lantos Innovation in Community Service Awards
Applications are being accepted through Feb. 27, 2013
If you had $5,000 to do something to help the PH community, what would you do? This isn’t an empty question – it’s a real opportunity for you through the Lantos Awards.
Named for one of the true heroes of the PH community, the Tom Lantos Innovation in Community Service Awards seeks to create opportunities for those in the PH community to try out new ideas that hold the promise of more rapidly advancing our common cause.
Lantos Award project ideas might include, but are not limited to:
- Increased public awareness
- Resource development
- Other initiatives bringing benefit to the PH community
Timeline + More Details
Lantos Awards are made only once per year. The Lantos Awards Committee will review applications and approve awards by March 15, 2013. PHA will give as many as 10 awards of up to $5,000 each. Applicants will be notified of their status in April 2013. Projects should be completed within a 12-month period with an approximate start date of May 2013.
Please refer to the program guidelines for more information.
Read about past winning projects
Read about the members of our community who were chosen to implement new awareness-raising initiatives and create new community services through the Tom Lantos Innovation in Community Service Awards program.
- Donna Caterini's "Huff and Puff" poster (pictured) used the story of the Big Bad Wolf to explain PH and promote local support group meetings.
- Bonnie Patricelli and her son Ryan Juntti created 50,000 hot beverage cup sleeves designed and printed with a PH awareness message for the public. These “hot holders” were distributed around the country to coffee shops near high-traffic areas such as college campuses, train stations, and airports.
- PHA Israel held an intensive one-day conference on PH for the medical, research and public health communities addressing PH diagnosis and treatment and the challenges of living with PH.
- Steve Van Wormer produced four public service announcements (PSAs) for television and radio about PHA and PH issues. These spots have aired in broadcast media and have been shared through social media and shown at a variety of PH conferences.
Read more about the 2012, 2011 and 2010 Lantos Award winning projects.
If you have questions, or you'd like to brainstorm your project, please contact LantosGrants@PHAssociation.org.
This program is supported by an unrestricted educational grant from Gilead Sciences.