Fundraising & Communications Internship
Available Spring, Summer & Fall 2013
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals impacted by this often misdiagnosed and difficult illness. PHA is committed to maintaining the organization's volunteer spirit and to building opportunities for those affected by pulmonary hypertension to be involved in solutions to the challenges the illness creates.
The Fundraising & Communications Intern will learn the foundations of non-profit fundraising and gain a competitive edge in the non-profit field. The intern will be immersed in all aspects of PHA's Development program, including annual membership, major giving, annual giving, monthly giving, planned giving, workplace giving and grassroots fundraising.
- Assist a supportive and cordial team of Development professionals on a variety of fundraising programs
- Gain skills in reaching out to constituents and communicating with them in a way that engenders their trust and generosity
- Gain basic proficiency in The Raiser's Edge, the donor database most commonly used by non-profit organizations world-wide
- Contribute and write articles for PHA publications, as needed
- Create flyers and promotional materials
- Receive a transportation subsidy
- Have a passion for helping others and working in the non-profit environment
- Express interest in fundraising and development
- Possess strong research, writing and editing skills
- Be able to organize information and document results for future reporting
- Have solid knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with Microsoft Publisher and The Raiser's Edge donor database a plus
- Be organized, able to multi-task and work with minimal supervision
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.
How to Apply
Materials should include a cover letter explaining your interest in working for PHA, a resume and a 3-6 page writing sample. Please submit your application using PHA’s online application. The cover letter should be written to the attention of Ellen Leoni, PHA's Development Associate.