PHA/ATS/Pfizer Research Fellowship in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Grant Winner 2011
Won Kyung Cho, MD
Yale University School of Medicine
Title: "The Role of IL-13 in the Pathogenesis of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension"
Term: October 1, 2011 and will end September 30, 2013
Summary of Research Project:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension is a lethal disease that is caused by elevated pulmonary vascular resistance. Thus far, the underlying mechanism of PAH has not been clearly understood and there is no cure for PAH. Therefore, a better understanding of the pathogenesis of PAH is desperately needed to improve clinical outcome. Our preliminary studies demonstrated that chronic IL-13 overexpression in murine lungs, led to significant vascular remodeling and features of clinical PAH. We will further explore the mechanism of IL-13-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension in our proposed studies from which we expect to obtain novel insights regarding the pathogenesis of pulmonary hypertension.
NAME: Won-Kyung Cho, MD
POSITION TITLE: Associate Research Scientist
|INSTITUTION AND LOCATION
||FIELD OF STUDY
|Ewha Womans University, College of Medicine
|University of Ulsan, College of Medicine
Positions and Honors
Positions and Employment
- 1990 - 1991 Intern, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
- 1991 - 1995 Internal Medicine Resident, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
- 1995 - 1997 Clinical Fellow, Pulmonary Medicine, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
- 1998 - 2000 Post-doctoral Fellow, Respiratory Division, Internal Medicine Department, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, Canada
- 2001 - 2002 Research Associate, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- 2003 - 2003 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Ewha Womans University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
- 2003 - 2006 Internal Medicine Resident, Saint Mary's Health Center, Saint Louis, MO, USA
- 2006 - 2010 Clinical Fellow, Pulmonary & Critical Care, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- 2010 - pres Associate Research Scientist, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the Foundation for Gene and Therapy/Medical Research Council of Canada Fellowship Award (1999-2000)
- Recipient of ATS Travel Award: Pulmonary Circulation Award (2009)
- Internal Medicine Resident Teacher Of The Year (2006): St. Mary's Health Center, St. Louis MO
- Invited Presenter: The Sixth Annual Respiratory Disease Young Investigators' Forum, Phoenix, Arizona (2009): "IL-13 Induces Pulmonary Vascular Remodeling and Pulmonary Hypertension."
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications
- MH Kim, WK Cho, MH Lee, SK Lee, YI Min. A case of stone pancreatitis treated by endoscopic sphincterotomy. Korean Journal of Gastroenterology 24: 889-895, 1992 (in Korean).
- Cho WK, Kim DW, Yoo ES, Park JS. Antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibody positive polyarteritis nodosa. Korean Journal of Medicine 45: 670-677, 1993 (in Korean).
- Cho WK, Kim EO, Myung SJ, Kwak SM, Koh YS, Kim WS, Lee MS, Kim WD. Prediction formulas of pulmonary function parameters derived from the forced expiratory spirogram for healthy nonsmoking and smoking adults and effect of smoking on pulmonary function parameters. Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease. 41: 521-532, 1994 (in Korean).
- Choi JE, Koh YS, Cho WK, Lim CM, Kim WS, Park PH, Choi JM, Kim WD. A comparison of clinical efficacy of weaning method between the mode of intermittent mandatory ventilation and intermittent mandatory ventilation plus pressure support. Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease 41:372-384, 1994 (in Korean).
- Cho WK, Park JY, Shong YK, Lee KU, Lee JK, Choe GY, Kim GS, Lee MH. Cushing¡¦s disease due to ACTH producing pituitary carcinoma. Journal of Korean Society of Endocrinology 9: 136-142, 1994 (in Korean).
- Choi KH, Park YJ, Cho WK, Lim CM, Lee SD, Koh YS, Kim WS, Kim DS, Kim WD. Pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with chronic respiratory impairment. Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease. 43: 736-749, 1995 (In Korean).
- Cho WK, Lee DG, Lim TH, Choi JE, Chung BH, Choi KH, Lim CM, Lee SD, Koh YS, Kim WS, Kim DS, Kim WD. 31P-NMR study of skeletal muscle metabolism in patients with chronic respiratory impairment. Tuberculosis and Respiratory Disease. 43: 360-372, 1997. (In Korean).
- Cho WK, Ebihara S, Nalbantoglu J, Gilbert R, Massie B, Holland P, Karpati G, Petrof BJ. Modulation of Starling forces and muscle fiber maturity permits adenovirus-mediated gene transfer to adult dystrophic (mdx) mice by the intravascular route. Hum Gene Ther 11:701-714, 2000. PMID: 10757350
- Ebihara S, Hussain SNA, Danialou G, Cho WK, Gottfried SB, Petrof BJ. Mechanical Ventilation Protects against Diaphragm Injury in Sepsis. Interaction of Oxidative and Mechanical Stresses. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165: 221-228, 2002. PMID: 11790659
- Cho WK, Terence K Trow TK. Combination therapy in the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension: Can that dog hunt? Clin Pulm Med 14: 242-243, 2007.
- Cho WK, Rubinowitz AN, Siegel MD. Endobronchial blood clots causing unilateral atelectasis with near asphyxiation. The Clinical Respiratory Journal 3: 112-113, 2009. PMID: 20298387
- Matsuura H, Hartl D, Kang MJ, Dela Cruz C, Koller B, Chupp GL, Homer RJ, Zhou Y, Cho WK, Elias JA, Lee CG. Role of Breast Regression Protein (BRP)-39 in the Pathogenesis of Cigarette Smoke-Induced inflammation and Emphysema. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, 2010 Jul 23. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:20656949
- Dela Cruz CS, Kang MJ, Cho WK, Lee CG. Transgenic modelling of cytokine polarization in the lung. Immunology, Immunology. 2011 Jan;132(1):9-17 PMID:21091906
Ongoing Research Support
3 R01-HL-084225-03 S1 (ARRA funding) (Lee CG) 7/1/09 ¡V 6/30/11 NIH / NHLBI
Genetic Factors Controlling Effector Function of TGF-ƒÒ in COPD and Fibrosis
Role: Won Kyung Cho, Investigator
This grant will define the gene or factors responsible for TGF-b-associated pulmonary fibrosis and COPD