PHA's International PH Conference provides researchers access to the largest gathering of PH patients in the world.
Each biennial meeting of PHA's International PH Conference and Scientific Sessions includes a Research Room dedicated to helping researchers further their studies by allowing for the collection of data, including biological specimens (cheek swabs and blood samples) from PH patients. This event gives researchers the rare opportunity to collect data from the largest gathering of pulmonary hypertension patients in the world at any given time.
The first Research Room was held in 1994 at PHA's Conference in Stone Mountain, Ga. That first gathering brought together almost 70 patients. At PHA's 2012 Conference in Orlando, Fla., PHA hosted nine research teams from all over the U.S., with more than 230 attendees participating in the Research Room. Research projects approved in 2012 included:
- A research study to identify which psychologic variables (depression, anxiety, stress) and physiologic variable (six-minute walk test) best predicts health-related quality of life in the adult pulmonary hypertension population;
- Autoantibodies in PAH
- Capture chip follow up study in PAH patients;
- Genetic characterization of circulating CD33 & CD34 progenitor cells in PAH;
- Genetics and genomics of PAH;
- Prevalence of restless leg syndrome in patients with PH;
- The role of angiogenic signaling molecules in PAH; and
- Understanding the significance of blood-based markers for PH.
PHA's 2014 Conference taking place June 20-22, in Indianapolis, Ind., will follow in this tradition.
Investigator applications for the 2014 PHA Research Room are now being accepted.
Your complete application, including a copy of the study's IRB-approval, must be submitted by Monday, March 10, 2014.
Questions? Contact ResearchRoom@PHAssociation.org or 301-565-3004 x770.