May 2, 2012 >> back to issue
PHA National Call-In Day Update: Congressional Staffers “Inundated” with Phone Calls for a Cure
PHA President Rino Aldrighetti (pictured far right) and several
medical professionals outside Sen. Richard Burr's office on
PHA’s National Call-In Day on April 26, 2012.
On April 26, 2012, PHers across the country spent the day calling their Members of Congress to urge them to co-sponsor the Tom Lantos PH Research and Education Act of 2011. PHA thanks everyone who called and made the day a resounding success! Several PHers reported back to PHA that the staffers had received a flood of calls urging them to support more PH research and education.
Help PHA Turn Your Phone Calls for a Cure into Co-sponsors!
In the coming weeks, PHA will follow up with the congressional offices you called during PHA’s National Call-In Day to ask them to cosponsor the PH Research and Education Act. Here are a few ways you can help us build momentum and continue advocating for a cure:
- Contact PHA! If you haven’t already, please let PHA know which senators and representatives you contacted during National Call-In Day. Email Advocacy@PHAssociation.org and include your name, the names of the Congressional offices you called, the names of the staffers you spoke with (if available) and their response.
- Follow up! Keep PH research and education on Congress’s radar. Consider contacting your Members of Congress in the next few weeks to urge them to co-sponsor the PH Research and Education Act. Several PHers have already expressed their intent to follow up. Here are just a few of their ideas:
- “I will be following up with printed materials about the Lantos bill and probably a DVD we made about my mom.” - Erica Huntzinger, California
- “Just wanted to let you know that both my mom and I called our representative and senators in South Carolina. A week from today I am going to drop off personal letters from my support group members asking the representative and senators to co-sponsor the Tom Lantos PH Research and Education Act.” - Doug Taylor, South Carolina
- “I left word with the Health LAs for Senators Cornyn and Hutchinson and Representative Canseco. Since I am on a roll, I am going to commit to sending emails to my Members of Congress for the Conference Advocacy Challenge. I also want to try to set up some meetings so that I can meet face to face and talk about our needs.” - Sylvia Creach, Texas
If you’re interested in continuing to advocate to your Members of Congress, PHA has the resources you need. Contact Elisabeth at Advocacy@PHAssociation.org or 301-565-3004 x753 to learn more about the steps you can take to help get us closer to a cure!