Grassroots Advocacy Internship
|Intern Video Journals
Grassroots and Advocacy
Advocacy and Awareness
Available for Spring & Summer, 2015
Are you a self-directed, cause-driven individual with strong communication skills? Are you looking for an opportunity to learn more about how non-profits can be effective in the policy and advocacy arenas?
PHA is seeking a Grassroots Advocacy Intern to assist the Director of Advocacy and Awareness in building our programs and creating opportunities for pulmonary hypertension patients to be involved in solutions to the issues that affect their lives. This critical support will enable us to continue to provide vital services to the pulmonary hypertension community and promote awareness of an under-diagnosed illness. No prior knowledge of pulmonary hypertension is needed.
- Gain valuable experience in the field of non-profit/grassroots organizing and advocacy
- Propose and implement strategies to keep grassroots campaign members engaged and active
- Refresh web content on PHA's advocacy and media campaign portals, create videos and related resources as needed
- Occasionally visit Capitol Hill to attend Congressional briefings
- Assist in coordinating advocacy events and conferences
- Track press hits, and maintain records of grassroots advocacy
- Prepare legislative briefing materials, press kits, and related resources
- Receive a transportation subsidy
- Be enthusiastic about working as part of a team; be able to work independently
- Possess strong research and writing skills
- Be comfortable interacting with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Have solid knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, additional computer ability is a plus
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.
How to Apply
Materials should include a cover letter explaining your interest in working for PHA, a resume and a 3-6 page writing sample. Cover letters can be addressed to Katherine Kroner, Director of Advocacy and Awareness. Applications are only accepted through PHA's online Internship Application Form.
Past Intern Videos
Advocacy & Awareness
Summer & Fall 2010
Advocacy & Awareness