International Services Internship
Not currently available
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing non-profit association of patients, family members and medical professionals impacted by this often misdiagnosed and difficult illness. PHA is committed to maintaining the organization's volunteer spirit and building opportunities for those affected by pulmonary hypertension to be involved in solutions to the challenges the illness creates.
The International Services Internship offers interns a unique experience working with PHA staff and leaders of global PH organizations. Interns will assist in providing services to patients, medical professionals and nearly 55 PH association leaders abroad. This internship will help interns prepare for a career in the field of international relations or the non-profit sector by nurturing partnerships among PH associations and providing guidance and resources for growing global organizations.
- Gain valuable experience in the field of international program management within a non-profit health organization
- Perform research on and help to coordinate projects relevant to PHA’s role as an international hub
- Evaluate the successes and challenges that accompany the biennial International Leaders’ Summit
- Reach out to medical professionals around the world
- Facilitate and encourage communication among leaders of PH associations abroad
- Prepare materials/documents leading to the further development of PHA’s international program
- Develop educational tools such as brochures and online recordings
- Work with other departments within the organization, as time and interest allow
- Receive a transportation subsidy
- Have an interest in international relations, particularly within a non-profit environment
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Have the ability to work well with teams and individually
- Be comfortable working and communicating with individuals whose native language is not English
- Be able to organize, multi-task, and think creatively and strategically
- Have solid knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with Adobe Acrobat a plus
- Be familiar and comfortable with the Internet, translation tools, email and listservs/groups
- Ability to write and speak in non-English languages, particularly Spanish, is ideal
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.