Medical Services Internship
Intern Video Journals
|Glenda Lopez - Medical Services
|Albert White - Medical Services
Available Spring 2014
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals impacted by this often misdiagnosed and difficult illness. PHA is committed to maintaining the organization's volunteer spirit and to building opportunities for those affected by pulmonary hypertension to be involved in solutions to the challenges the illness creates.
PHA’s Medical Services Internship offers students an opportunity to assist the Associate Director, Medical Services and program associates in providing services to physicians, researchers, nurses and patients. This critical support will enable us to continue to provide vital services to the PH community. The Medical Services Intern will be instrumental in helping staff manage PHA’s two medical membership networks and ensure that medical professionals who belong to these groups have access to the resources they need. This intern will have a wide range of experiences in managing the medical side of a health-related non-profit.
- Gain valuable experience in the field of non-profit health organization management
- Perform research on medical topics (such as ideas for educational webinars for both patients and for medical providers)
- Assist with the development of communication materials for outreach to medical professionals and patients
- Identify projects and areas of individual interest and work both independently and in teams to achieve goals
- Assist with managing PHA’s two medical membership networks for medical professionals
- Help manage aspects of producing PHA’s medical journal
- Receive a transportation subsidy
- Have an interest in healthcare issues and in working in a non-profit environment
- Possess knowledge of the Internet and demonstrate proficiency in using a variety of software platforms, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Be interested in developing medically relevant educational resources
- Possess knowledge of Internet and/or library resources for research
- Be able to organize information and to document research for future reporting
- Be organized and multi-task
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills
- Be able to work well with teams
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.
How to Apply
Materials should include a cover letter explaining your interest in working for PHA, a resume and a 3-6 page writing sample. Cover letters can be addressed to Michael Gray, Director of Medical Services. Applications are only accepted through PHA's online Internship Application Form.