Volunteer Services Internship
||Intern Video Journal
Drea Yancy - Volunteer Services
Available Fall 2013
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals impacted by this often misdiagnosed and difficult illness. PHA is committed to maintaining the organization's volunteer spirit and to building opportunities for those affected by pulmonary hypertension to be involved in solutions to the challenges the illness creates.
The Volunteer Services Internship offers students an opportunity to work with volunteers across the country who are involved in patient-led support groups. Interns will work with the Volunteer Services Director in providing support and materials to Support Group Leaders and volunteers in the PH community. Such critical support will enable us to continue to provide vital services to the pulmonary hypertension community and promote awareness of an under-diagnosed illness.
- Work with the Volunteer Services Director in our national Support Group grassroots outreach campaign to engage, educate and involve leaders of the organization
- Assist in developing leadership training programs and resources for patients interested in becoming involved in the PH Community through volunteering and support groups
- Strengthen the organization’s patient network through communication and relationship building with our 270 Support Group Leaders
- Monitor and track our special leader Facebook group and other social media networks
- Interview leaders and volunteers as needed for publications and web articles
- Work with staff members across departments to incorporate advocacy, medical and education into support group, volunteer and membership activities
- Gain valuable experience in the field of non-profit/grassroots outreach, membership and network building
- Receive a transportation subsidy
- Be a caring person who is excited to work with patient volunteers in the PH community
- Have good verbal, written and telephone communication skills
- Have working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, and other basic computer skills
- Be comfortable researching on the Internet
- Be able to organize, think creatively and strategically, and multi-task
- Be able to work well with a team or independently
- Be prepared to participate in a professional office setting
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.
How to Apply
Materials should include a cover letter explaining your interest in working for PHA, a resume and a 3-6 page writing sample. Cover letters can be addressed to Debbie Castro, Senior Director of Support Services. Applications are only accepted through PHA's online Internship Application Form.