Available Spring & Summer 2013
||Intern Video Journal
Amanda Martin - Publications
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals dedicated to finding a way to prevent and cure pulmonary hypertension (PH). PHA is committed to maintaining the organization’s volunteer spirit and to building opportunities for those affected by PH to be involved in solutions to the challenges the illness creates.
The Publications Internship offers students and recent graduates a structured experience working with PHA’s staff and constituents in producing quality print and web material and furthering PHA’s outreach to the community. The intern will work with PHA’s Associate Director of Publications to coordinate print projects with various vendors and to craft and prepare stories for publication in Pathlight, PHA’s quarterly newsletter, and PHANews, PHA's biweekly e-newsletter. PHA is committed to serving as and promoting the voice of the PH community, and this intern will help us to strengthen that commitment.
- Serve as a reporter, working with staff to identify stories, interview community members and write articles for print and web publications
- Assist in writing and editing a variety of PHA print materials
- Assist in coordinating print projects, including collecting print bids and updating inventory
- Assist with layout and design of various PHA print materials, including Pathlight
- Assist in compiling and preparing PHANews for emailing on a biweekly basis
- Receive a transportation subsidy
- Possess strong oral and written communications skills, as well as the ability to work well in teams
- Have an interest in journalism, writing and editing; familiarity with AP style a plus
- Have excellent computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and the programs of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Have excellent attention to detail and be able to make and meet deadlines
- Be comfortable interviewing constituents for stories and collaborating with volunteers on ongoing projects
- Be motivated, highly organized and personable.
- Demonstrate initiative and be goal-oriented
- Be able to think creatively and strategically, as well as multi-task
- Be able to organize information and document research for future reporting
- Be prepared to work in a fast-paced, professional office setting
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is Metro accessible.