Available Spring 2014
||Intern Video Journal
Amanda Martin - Publications
The Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA) is a fast-growing association of patients, family members and medical professionals dedicated to finding a way to prevent and cure pulmonary hypertension (PH). PHA is committed to maintaining the organization’s volunteer spirit and to building opportunities for those affected by PH to be involved in solutions to the challenges the illness creates.
The Publications Internship offers students and recent graduates a structured experience working with PHA’s staff and constituents in producing quality materials and furthering PHA’s outreach to the community. The intern will work with PHA’s publications team on all aspects of production for our print and web materials, including writing, editing, layout and archiving. Publications include Pathlight, PHANews, Pulmonary Hypertension: A Patient's Survival Guide and PHA Daily Beat.
- Assist in writing and editing a variety of materials for print and the web
- Assist in preparing the e-newsletter PHANews, compiling content
- Play a lead role in a photo labeling and archiving project
- Index past issues of PHA's quarterly newsletter, Pathlight
- Assist with layout of Pathlight and other materials as needed
- Have an interest in journalism, writing and editing; familiarity with AP style a plus
- Have excellent computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with email content management systems and HTML a plus
- Possess strong oral and written communications skills, as well as the ability to work well in teams
- Have excellent attention to detail and be able to make and meet deadlines
- Be comfortable interviewing constituents for stories and collaborating with volunteers on ongoing projects
- Be motivated, highly organized and personable
- Demonstrate initiative and be goal-oriented
- Be able to think creatively and strategically, as well as multi-task
- Be able to organize information and document research for future reporting
- Be prepared to work in a fast-paced, professional office setting
We offer both part-time and full-time internships. You will be treated as a respected team member, and our office provides a friendly and welcoming environment. If you would like to design a project that helps you meet your educational goals, we will work with you to achieve this. Interns receive a travel stipend and may also earn college credit. Our office is located in downtown Silver Spring, Md., and is metro accessible.